March 13, 2012
Raise Awareness in March about Kidney Disease - National Kidney Disease Month
Please join CMS during National Kidney Month in raising awareness about chronic kidney disease. Millions of Americans are at risk for chronic kidney disease and diabetes, and may be able to prevent the need for dialysis and kidney transplantation with early identification and a dedication to healthy lifestyle habits. Early disease detection is key, and the kidney disease-related services covered by Medicare are a great starting point for beneficiaries.
The incidence of kidney failure, or end-stage renal disease (ESRD), is rising fast in America, with more than 546,000 patients currently receiving treatment. Medicare covers a range of related services for eligible Medicare beneficiaries including diabetes screening tests, diabetes self-management training, medical nutrition therapy, kidney disease education services, dialysis, and transplant services.
What Can You Do?
- Use services like the “Welcome to Medicare” Preventive Visit and the Annual Wellness Visit as opportunities to talk with your Medicare patients about their risk factors for disease, and to provide referrals, as appropriate.
- Help them to understand that the early detection and treatment of kidney disease can prevent or delay many associated illnesses and complications.
- Help protect the health of your Medicare-covered patients by informing them of Medicare-covered kidney disease and diabetes-related services, as appropriate.
- Remember, many of these services require an order or referral for coverage by Medicare; please ensure that you provide your Medicare patients with the appropriate documentation so they can receive the services needed to help prevent, treat, and manage kidney disease and its complications.
More Information for Healthcare Professionals:
The Guide to Medicare Preventive Services
- Chapter 1: Initial Preventive Physical Exam (commonly known as the “Welcome to Medicare” Preventive Visit)
- Chapter 4: Annual Wellness Visit
- Chapter 6: Diabetes-related services
- Medicare Preventive Services Quick Reference Information Chart
- MLN Diabetes-Related Services factsheet
- End-Stage Renal Disease Prospective Payment System factsheet series
- National Kidney Foundation website
- National Kidney Foundation – “Chronic Kidney Disease on the Rise”
- National Diabetes Education Program Healthcare Professionals website
- 2011 National Diabetes factsheet
Thank you for joining with CMS to help increase awareness and educate about kidney and diabetes-related services covered by Medicare.
Note: If you have problems accessing any hyperlink in this message, please copy and paste the URL into your Internet browser.